Thursday, March 26, 2009

Potpourri for Five Hundred

Below are a mix of photos from Cuenca and our second trip to Montañitas. Enjoy.

One of my favorite poets, Pablo Neruda, is painted on the wall outside of the library in Cuenca´s center. After taking this photo I decided to enter the library and explore. From what I could see, there were absolutely no books, just a bunch of people on computers who looked up at me as though I had three heads. Feeling uneasy about my two new cerebral growths, I exited the library, dissappointed with my findings. Later on I was told that you must ask for the book you want at the front desk, at which point they will retrieve it for you from some hidden lair. I don´t know what book I want, I just want to explore, isn´t that half the fun of going to a library, crossing paths with texts you would have otherwise not encountered if you had not been browsing? Yes, I used the words ¨fun¨ and ¨library¨ in the same sentence.


Sunset at Samai (Tia Tania and Tio Ed´s place in San Jose, just outside of Montañitas).

I was unable to get my camera out more quickly, but this man with the goats just finished giving a cup of goats´ milk, for a nominal fee, to a young lad. Downtown Cuenca holds all sorts of surprises; traffic can be held up for a number of reasons, two of them being dog´s defecating in intersections and men milking goats in the right hand lane.

More sunset at Samai.


Sunset at Montañitas brought high tides and good surf, which meant the waters were full with talented surfers from around the globe. The energy of a day unwinding emanated a still serenity that could be breathed in, taken for what is was worth, and then exhaled back into the onset of night.

Monstro took some photos of the living barnacles attached to driftwood and scattered along the beach. He also took a candid shot of me through a bicycle wheel.



I had no idea this photo was being taken, and neither did anyone else, which is why I like the results. I can recall what we were all thinking and discussing that the moment, and what Santi was taking a shot of.


Monstro took this shot, capturing the motion of Capoeira very nicely.


After a sweaty ride along the coast.

Me and Mostro loving that we were able to bring our bikes.


No comments: