Thursday, March 5, 2009

La Iglesia




After lunch today, Ana and I went to the huge Cathedral Nueva in the center of Cuenca. The structure of the building itself is beautiful, and to think that humans erected this massive house for, perhaps, something they believe in deeply is quite astounding. The idea of needing to go to a church in order to pray is not quite my thing, as places for ¨praying¨ lie elsewhere for me, and do not neccesitate much in the way of one singular religion. Nonetheless, I went because I knew Rikki would have appreciated it, and my aunt as well. Aside from the sheer wonder of the actual structure of the cathedral itself, going there did not do much for me; but this was not for me, it was for Rikki, Shawn, Michael, and Logan, as well as for my aunt and Tio Pablo, because I know it is what they would have wanted. Death takes from us the body and returns it to the earth; but death also gives us the eternity of our individual beliefs, whatever they may be. With love, namaste.

No comments: