Friday, March 6, 2009

It´s a Good Thing: Caballo Compaña

Every so often, going into a race, it´s a good thing to know that you are going to finish absolutely dead last. After riding the course for this Sunday´s race, and I am not being pessimistic so much as realistic, I am fully aware of how I am most likely going to fare, and it´s a good thing. To know that you are going to give your everything and hopefully finish before the race directors leave; ultimately, knowing which route is the hard route and still choosing to take it regardless of projected outcome, specifically because you will learn something and it will make you stronger, is always a good thing. In such cases, as in most or all, it is not the end result, but rather everything which precedes the conclusion. Here, at Caballo Compaña, technical does not neccessarily equal rock gardens and the like; technical translates to climbing at murderous degrees for lengths of time, and descending until your breaks catch on fire. Got to love it. As a frame of reference, I have made it a habit over the past year or so to stay in the middle ring, or above, for riding and racing; on the pre-ride Galo suggested I use my ¨primero plato,¨ or first ring. As the Pan-American Champion and native to Cuenca, I figured he might know what he was talking about. I entered into the realm of granny gear for the first time in what seemed like ages, and alas the lung-singeing climbs were transformed into slightly more of an achievable feat.

Caballo Compaña is the name of the area where the race route loops through, and post-race posts shall describe its beauty though photography. For now, though, the dusty, cow-tracked course winds along the side of a verdent green mountain. For a good stretch of section, the singletrack slithers up through thick walls of Eucalyptus and then descends at a steep rate into the outskirts of a pristinely South American horse farm.

Undoubtedly, the race will be hard. I am aiming on not having to walk, as well as trying to get the most out of it; in the meantime I will shave my legs using extra precision, that way I will at least feel as though I am going faster than I really am. Vamos, Caballo Compaña!

No comments: