Friday, April 17, 2009

Mijos en las Escalinatas

For Bagre´s birthday I made a specific trip, other than the usual, into Cajas in order to find a stone. Once I encountered that stone I visited the hippies that dwell on the Escalinatas during day hours. There Alba was, on a windy afternoon, braiding and twisting twine as her daughter and son meandered the steps. I asked her to make a bracelet using the stone I had collected, and after about an hour I had in my posession Bagre´s bracelet handmade, as well as the friendship of an affectionate four-year-old. I am not certain if he wears the gift, but I made it for my own reasons, and he is free to do whatever he pleases with it; either way, I spent almost two hours dissintegrating the barriers of language and age, building a memory with a little girl who, frankly, just wanted somebody to laugh with, long hair to braid, and perhaps a pair of warm arms to hold her on a windy day. Grácias a tí, Alba, la pulsera está hermosa.



No comments: